Aerospace & Defence – Military Aerostructures Manufacturer
Operational Performance Improvement
Design and implement a new Operating Model based on Lean Principles to enable a doubling of production rates as well as other significant operational improvement targets.
Faced with an order book demanding a doubling of their typical production rates and a facility requiring substantial investment, the change programme was launched, with our support, to meet order book requirements and provide a solid platform for future aircraft manufacturing capability.
- Worked with the management team, union officials and members of the workforce to design the new Operating Model.
- Designed separate production flowlines for Wing and Fuselage.
- Implemented “pull systems” for all internally made components and supplied items.
- Implemented cross-functional Integrated Product Teams.
- Developed a “balanced scorecard” performance management framework.
“I was very impressed by the massive changes that have been achieved through the Project and the obvious enthusiasm and commitment to success displayed by everyone…”
“We would never have been able to secure the business case without the help of the consultants“
Client Project Manager
Key Achievements & Value Delivered
- 55% reduction in inventory.
- 20% reduction in man hours.
- Transfer of 60 indirect personnel to direct activities.
- Substantial reduction in subcontracting costs.