Defence – Ejector Seat Manufacturer
Product Cost Reduction
To reduce product cost for a key product by 30% in order to become the preferred supplier of ejector seats for a major new aircraft.
Our client recognized that a 30% reduction in product cost would be necessary to secure this critical contract.
Their initial focus was on replacing their ageing business systems, but soon realized that a more fundamental assessment of their manufacturing strategy was required.
- Working with a multi-disciplined project team, every component part of the entire bill of material was physically reviewed to identify synergies and manufacturing cell & stage opportunities.
- The manufacturing facility was then re-aligned into component group ‘cells’, and the assembly line prepared to allow for a flow-line stage build.
- Employees were trained and then asked to participate in Kaizen initiatives, enabling greater involvement and ownership of new ways of working.
Key Achievements & Value Delivered
- 30% product cost reduction.
- Lean operating architecture established.